If you’re interested in pursuing a career in construction but you’re not too sure which trade or where to start, this is the program for you.
Journeywoman Start (JWS) is a 17-week classroom and hands-on training program that introduces students to 6 different trades and provides introductory skills training for welding, carpentry, sheet metal, electrical, plumbing and pipe-fitting/steamfitting.
The program is designed to help students prepare for and succeed as an entry-level worker in the construction and maintenance industry. Students will also have the opportunity to visit a variety of different worksites to see what a day in the life is like.
Students receive essential safety awareness and certification, Best Practices for working in construction, exposure to the technical skills and hands-on participation in workshops to support and prepare them to enter the construction and maintenance industry.
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- H2S Alive
- OSSA Confined Space/ Entry Monitor
- OSSA Elevated Work Platform
- OSSA Fall Protection
- Scaffolding Awareness
- Standard First Aid CPR A & AED
To support employment opportunities upon completion of this program, students will also have support from our Alumni Advisor team in job search and navigating the apprenticeship journey.
Classroom and hands-on skills training for this program are offered through the Women Building Futures Training Centre in Edmonton.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will:
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the history of construction and maintenance trades, union structure and apprenticeship requirements
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the academic components required in order to pass the AIT Trades Entrance Exam
- Demonstrate an aptitude and preparedness in the safe practices for working in the construction and maintenance trades
- Describe the roles and responsibilities in the trades
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of personal financial preparedness
- Demonstrate the best practices for working in construction in a safe and productive way
- Demonstrate preparedness for working conditions and expectations of future employment
Join MY WBF
Uncertain which program is right for you? Log into the MY WBF portal to access our Program Finder and Trades Exploration Tools to help you find the program that is right for you.
Take the MY WBF tour to learn how to set up an account, register for an information session and how to apply.