Suncor Power Engineer Career Accelerator
To learn more about this program, join us for an open house on Tuesday September 24, 2019 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm at 427 Gregoire Drive (ACSA Building) in Fort McMurray.
This program is perfect for women interested in entering the field of power engineering and securing a paid co-op placement with Suncor in Fort McMurray. This program is designed to support learners who want to pursue a career in Power Engineering. Please note: only applicants living in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo will be considered for this program.
This is a two-year program, with pre-program training with WBF followed by skills training with Keyano College and a paid co-op with Suncor in Fort McMurray.
Learners will complete Keyano’s 4th Class Power Engineer program, fulfill a paid co-op term with Suncor, return to Keyano to complete the 3rd Class Power Engineer program and finish with a second paid co-op term with Suncor.
WBF “career accelerator” training provides participants with:
- essential safety awareness and certification,
- Best Practices for working in construction,
- exposure to the technical skills and
- hands-on training to support further training to become a power engineer.
Keyano’s Power Engineer program prepares the learner to gain the knowledge and steam time required to gain both the 4th and 3rd Class Power Engineer certifications and succeed as a 3rd Class Power Engineer.
- Applicant must be a resident of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
- Completed High School Diploma with successful completion in English 20-1 or English 20-2, Math 20-1 or Math 20-2, Physics 20. Science 20 will be accepted for Alberta high school graduates only.
- OR a pass mark on all 5 General Education Development (GED) exam
- Demonstrated English Language Proficiency
- Class 5 Driver’s License and driver’s abstract
- Safety mindset and aptitude
NOTE: these application requirements are informed by WBF, Keyano College and Suncor and are in place to support success at all levels of the learning process.
Accepted learners will receive ongoing support from WBF during training with Keyano and Suncor, to ensure career success.
This is a competitive program with tuition covered by Suncor for the WBF training segment and basic operator training.
Accepted participants will also be paid a co-op term with Suncor upon completion of the Keyano College portion of training.
Tuition, application fee and exam costs for Keyano’s Power Engineer program are paid for by the applicant/learner as part of their enrollment through Keyano College. Navigational support will be provided for applicants who may need additional funding support during their program.
Join MY WBF
Uncertain which program is right for you? Log into the MY WBF portal to access our Program Finder and Trades Exploration Tools to help you find the program that is right for you.
Take the MY WBF tour to learn how to set up an account, register for an information session and how to apply.